Monday, October 18, 2010

Rifle Marksmanship

Y'know, it amazes me that it is so difficult to find a good book on rifle marksmanship. Oh, sure, there are plenty of books on "basic marksmanship" and so forth, but most of them cover the pages with advice on picking the right rifle and cartridge, ballistics, doping the wind, and so forth. Great... but I ALREADY have my rifle(s) of choice. I'm not trying to hit at 600 yards and fight wind and mirage. I don't shoot Highpower, ISU, etc. I shoot mainly for enjoyment, and compete in N-SSA, where the ranges are short (50 and 100 yards). With muzzleloaders. With iron sights. I don't need information on scope adjustment, I need basic this-is-how-to-put-a-rifle-to-your-shoulder-and-hit a-4"-target-at-50-yards. Without a sling. Without leading a running animal. Without barrel extensions, diopters, or adjustable stocks. Does anybody shoot an off-the-shelf rifle anymore? Does anybody pick up their rifle, put it to their shoulder, and shoot anymore?

I've been shooting for nearly 40 years now, and I can hold my own in the team matches in N-SSA, but I'm not a top shooter by any means. I want to get better, but it seems that standing up and shooting a basic rifle is not much in vogue these days. Thus far it has been a game of picking out applicable bits and pieces from books written for other disciplines. Tubb's book has been the best of the lot (and it really is good), but about 3/4 of the book is wasted on me - we only shoot offhand in N-SSA.

Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. Here is the hands down best book in the world for what you are asking:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/432351/USMC-MCRP-301A-Rifle-Marksmanship
    Here's my post on the topic:
    http://randomactsofpatriotism.blogspot.com/2008/08/sight-picture-sight-alignment.html
    It has more hits than anything else I've posted.
    Send me an email at asm826@gmail.com and tell me where you are in N.C., I'm in the eastern part of the state.

    ReplyDelete