Sunday, July 11, 2010

I won something!

I did! I did! The coveted coveted Cowboy Blob weekend caption/photoshop contest trophy. And yes, he makes a point: I haven't blogged much since starting this blog... the PhD program has left me pretty apathetic about typing anything for fun. But now... coursework is finished and I'm down to the fun part, which really is fun for me - my research involves going and standing in creeks and observing wildlife for hours on end. I've started moving on other projects now, so why not start actually blogging?

Other projects? Restoring a 1946 Cub tractor (the engine turned over again last week!), building a 1770's period fowling piece, remembering how to cast a flyrod, and getting my offhand shooting back to the point where it actually appears that there is a projectile coming out of the end of the barrel, instead of just smoke and noise. You know, where holes sometimes appear in the general vicinity of where you want them?

Oh, and getting ready for deer season. A little early perhaps, but I haven't had time for more than four days of hunting in the last three years, and there are things that need attending to... shooting lanes opened up, overgrown fields reclaimed, and trails cut back out (amazing how much stuff grows up in three years, most of it with thorns!) This blog was named in honor of outdoor pursuits, and the less time you spend in the outdoors, the more likely the Red Gods are to laugh at you. I love being outdoors with a purpose, especially hunting. Purpose is part of the reason for bumping the Cub up in the project list - it is small enough to easily transport, and I have equipment for it to tend the land in line with my desires. We have a much larger tractor that would handle the work in a few hours, but speed isn't everything. The drive from the "working" farm to the "hunting" farm is about an hour and a half, and loading up the larger tractor, the equipment on the truck, and hauling it over a very twisty mountain road just kills the fun quotient. The Cub, on the other hand, is small and light - a breeze to load, and I can move the implements by hand. It's fun. Preparing for hunting season used to be nearly as enjoyable as the hunt itself; the planning and little projects helped build the atmosphere of anticipation of being in the field with a rifle. I'm finding that again now, and I like it. I had been missing it more than I realized. Perhaps the Red Gods will take notice and smile on me this Autumn; even if they laugh, it is great to finally start getting back outdoors. Besides, their laughter usually leaves some lasting memories!

LG

No comments:

Post a Comment